To begin our update this week, the AGW team is thinking especially of communities in New Mexico, as the wildfires in the state continue to burn. Farming and ranching comes with risks and challenges, with weather being only one, but we know recent years have been even more of a struggle for many. As a reminder to certified producers, please get in touch if you are impacted by weather and need assistance in any way.
Please read on for the latest from AGW.
Certified Grassfed by AGW Producers, Share the WSJ Mention
Certified Grassfed by AGW was recently featured in The Wall Street Journal. Crane Dance Farm in MI, who raises Certified Grassfed by AGW beef cattle, made the most of this good news by sharing our post with their networks and letting their followers know why their certification matters. Want to do the same? All you have to do is link to our Facebook, Instagram or Twitter posts to share.
Featured Resource: Fit or Fat?
How can Body Condition Scoring be used as a livestock management tool? Read on to find out.
Chapel Hill Creamery with Chef Katie Button on From the Source
Chapel Hill Creamery in Chapel Hill, NC was featured on From the Source, the newest series from Chef Katie Button! Catch the episode on Magnolia Network and Discovery+ to see dairy cows on the farm, meet farmers and owners Portia McKnight and Flo Hawley and learn about their cattle management and cheesemaking business.
Seeking Input From Farmers, Ranchers, and Small to Mid-Sized Processors
Rural Advancement Foundation International (RAFI)-USA is seeking feedback by Friday, May 13 from AGW-certified producers on the impacts of corporate concentration in food retail and distribution markets on farmers, ranchers and small to mid-size processors. Responses will inform policy recommendations to the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA).
From Your Peers
- Southwest Farmer featured AGW-certified Trefranck Farm in the UK in an article highlighting their diversification by producing biltong.
- Only In Your State featured Prairie Fruits Farm and Creamery and their Certified Animal Welfare Approved by AGW dairy goats in Champaign, IL.
- Oregon Wine Press featured Red Bird Acres in Corvalis, OR in their article “Meat Me in Wine Country.”
- Feast Magazine featured Green Dirt Farm in Weston, MO in “Your Summer Bucket List: A food-lover’s guide to getting outside this season”
- North Country Public Radio featured AGW-certified Blue Pepper Farm in Jay, NY in “North Country at Work: Running a sheep dairy in the Adirondack mountains.”
- Chicago Tribune featured Jake’s Country Meats in Cassopolis, MI in their article about the opening of the Park Ridge Farmers’ Market.