I hope you’re feeling some hints of Fall in the air. This week’s update is full of resources and news, so be sure to keep reading for all the latest from AGW. Please be in touch with any questions, comments or ways we can be of help to you this season.
FSIS Webinars on Labeling
In September, FSIS hosted two webinars on labeling, including “Generic Labeling” and “Animal Raising Claims and Non-GMO.” Presentation slides as well as video recordings of the webinars are available on the FSIS website.
2022 Census of Agriculture
Conducted every five years, the Census of Agriculture is a count of U.S. farms and ranches along with the people involved in their operation. If you did not receive the 2017 Census of Agriculture questionnaire and should have, or if you are operating a new farm, you can sign up to be counted in the 2022 Census of Agriculture.
Congrats on 10 Years!
Congratulations to the following farms who recently celebrated a decade of AGW certification: Serenity Acres Farm in FL, Dark Branch Farms in NC, Indian Creek Angus in GA, Lucky Hook Farm in WA and Waverly Farms in VA. It has been a great 10 years, and we’re looking forward to the next.
Featured Resource: Silent Killer
Clostridia spp. is a group of bacteria widely recognized as pathogens of livestock, companion animals, wildlife and humans. Before the advent of vaccinations, clostridia disease was one of the biggest killers of sheep and goats, and losses could be catastrophic. Learn more in this blog post, adapted from Farm Health Online, an online resource filled with practical, science-based advice on high-welfare livestock management.
From Your Peers
- WANDTV.com featured AGW-certified Prairie Fruits Farm and Creamery, “the first farmstead Cheeserie in Illinois,” in a recent piece on all the farm has to offer this Fall—and year-round.
- Chicago Reader highlighted Red Boat Farm in Fort Wayne, AL for their Certified Animal Welfare Approved by AGW pigs.
- Yahoo Finance presents Truly Grass Fed pairing with Slow Food Live USA offering events and sharable recipes.
- Enjoy this Eat Yall Podcast with Amy and David Bachman of Bachman Farms in Lamont, OK where they talk about Certified Animal Welfare Approved by AGW, Certified Grassfed by AGW beef cattle in ‘Grass Fed Beef Done Right’.
- News on 6 reported on Shepherd’s Cross Incorporation’s Pumpkin Festival and offering pumpkins, games and visiting their Certified Animal Welfare Approved by AGW sheep and Certified Grassfed by AGW beef cattle.