I hope you are doing well, especially those of you impacted by severe weather right now—tropical depressions, high temperatures and drought in the U.S. and the extreme heat wave heading rolling into Canada. Stay safe and hydrated out there.
This week we submitted comments to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) on “Supply Chains for the Production of Agricultural Commodities and Food Products” to advocate for more support of independent, third-party verified, sustainable farms. We urged the USDA to uphold more transparency, ensure independent processing capacity, pay food producers fairly, and ensure broad access to sustainable practices and markets. You can download our full comments and read others’ comments here.
Our UK team was excited to be at the Groundswell Regenerative Agriculture Show and Conference this week (see picture above). We hosted a live workshop at the event on writing a Regenerative Plan, one of the core parts of our pilot program, Certified Regenerative by AGW. Read on for more updates from AGW.
Celebrating a Decade of Certification
As we near the end of the June, we want to stop and recognize the farms and ranches over the last few months who have celebrated a decade of AGW certification. Congratulations to Liberty Flat Farm in Greeneville, TN, Ardith Mae Farm in Stuyvesant, NY, and Shelby Acres in Colquitt, GA for your hard work and dedication to you land, animals, farm and community. We are honored to work with you.
For Your Slaughter Plant: USDA Grants for State Inspected and Exempt Processing
The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) just announced $55.2 million in competitive grant funding available through the new Meat and Poultry Inspection Readiness Grant (MPIRG) program. Applications must be submitted electronically by Monday, August 2, 2021. Learn more about eligibility and requirements.
Featured Resource: Technical Advice Fact Sheet 17 – Age of Weaning Lambs
This technical paper examines the impact of different weaning ages on the welfare of ewes and lambs, the importance of good nutrition during lactation, and the impact of weaning age on lamb growth and productivity.
Updates From Your Peers
Please catch the latest press mentions about AGW-certified producers and the program below. This week,
- The Adirondack Almanak features AGW-certified farmers Shannon Eaton of Blue Pepper Farm in Jay, NY and Ashlee Kleinhammer of North Country Creamery in Keeseville, NY in celebration of June as National Dairy Month.
- KOIN News features AGW-certified Nehalem River Ranch in Nehalem, OR in their article about area nonprofits teaming up to create North Coast Food Web to provide food for Tillamook and Clatsop County Oregon residents through a van delivery service.
- CBC features rancher John Smith of Plateau Cattle Company in an article about a proposed Alberta coal project’s threats to agriculture, the environment and First Nations cultural and physical heritage.
- The Macon Telegraph features AGW-certified Rocking Chair Ranch in Forsyth, GA in their article highlighting specialty burgers in the area.
- Benzinga picked up a press release announcement regarding AGW-certified Truly Grass Fed Dairy and their “Butter Product of the Year” honors awarded at the 2021 Mindful Awards.
- Out ‘n Proud reported on the grassfed cheese market, noting AGW-certified Lye Cross Farm as a leader in this field.