Last week was full of great farmer press, and we expect this week to be full of good information to share as well. We’re starting an educational series around animal welfare, and we’re kicking it off with a consumer-oriented blog post called “What is animal welfare and why should you care?” We hope it’s a helpful conversation starter at farmers markets, on social media, or throughout your customer networks. Memorial Day will be here before we know it, and our marketing team wants to make sure people know where to buy AGW-certified products for all summer kickoff festivities. See below for our call for specials, and read on for news and a variety of farming resources from AGW.
Big Picture Farm Wins 2021 sofi Award
Congratulations to AGW-certified farmers, Lucas and Louisa Farrell, of Big Picture Farm in Townshend, Vermont for winning a 2021 sofi Award, presented annual by the Specialty Food Association in New York City. This year, they brought home a silver medal for their Brown Butter Bourbon Farmstead Goat Milk Caramels, made with goat milk from their herd of Certified Animal Welfare Approved by AGW dairy goats.
For AGW-Certified Producers: Calling All Memorial Day Specials
With Memorial Day—and summertime grilling season just around the corner, we want to be sure to let folks know where and how to fill their grill with AGW-certified products. Will you please let us know (at info or through your regional coordinator) if you have any upcoming specials, Memorial Day packages or promotional codes for online ordering? We’ll be sharing on social media and look forward to spreading the word.
Featured Resource: Marketplace Page
AGW’s Marketplace is our one-stop online exchange, built to match supply with demand and strengthen the market for AGW-certified products. Check out our current listings, and AGW-certified producers, submit your free ad for items you’re looking to buy or sell.
Featured Resource: Technical Advice Fact Sheet 7 – Foot Pad Dermatitis in Poultry
This technical paper examines foot pad dermatitis—also known as pododermatitis or ‘foot burn’—in poultry, with practical advice on identifying and reducing this potential welfare issue.
Updates From Your Peers
Please catch the latest press mentions about AGW-certified producers and the program below. This week,
- The Fence Post covered the new certification of CV Grass Fed Cattle in Centennial, Wyoming—the first ranch in Wyoming to achieve Certified Animal Welfare Approved by AGW and Certified Grassfed by AGW certifications.
- Kenosha News covered AGW-certified Starry Nights Farm in Burlington, WI. The farm is now offering overnight stays, on select weekends this summer, providing a place for people to experience farm life and slow down.
- From the UK, Resilience covers AGW-certified Fernhill Farm in Somerset in the article “Who Grew Your Clothes: Soil to Soil Textiles Part 1” which highlights the sustainability challenges around sourcing clothing and those working to educate around sustainable fashion. Be sure to read on for Part 2, covered by ARC2020.
- The Union explains animal welfare certifications and features AGW-certified Local Yolk of Pilot Hill, CA.
- Pig Progress covers the newest podcast in the Real P3 podcast series, featuring Ron Simmons at Master Blend Family Farms in Kenansville, NC.